Thursday 7 January 2010

Billy Mays here with another new fantastic product!

Infomercials. We all have a certain weaknesses, one of them being infomercials. We know that they are fake, too good to be true and most likely just a scam. Even if Mr. T is in them, praising the FlavorWave. Now that's just awesome. Semi-forgotten B-stars from the 90's, paid to make an appearance in infomercials and endorse the products, trying to recapture their lost fame. Mr. T has been showing up lately, recapturing his fame from the A-Team with WoW commercials and the FlavorWave. Yeah.

Whenever an infomercial is on television, I tend to stop zapping and watch it for a while, even if I've seen it several times before. I have encountered products like the aforementioned FlavorWave, Billy Mays endorsed Mighty Putty, the Ab Circle Pro and Zumba! Why is it that I can't help watching it? They are fake! I know it is fake! Or... is it?

"That looks good... No it doesn't work. He is convincing though... Just three seconds to cut up cheese for the pasta? No way that THAT was three seconds. But even so, it just takes a bit longer, but still should work like that. Oooh, is that chocolate milk? What am I thinking? It's all fake. A whole extra set? OH MY GOD I WANT THAT MAGIC BULLET BLENDER. Oh never mind, it costs how much? No thanks. But I still want to watch this, it's interesting. I'm hungry..."


A few months after first watching the infomercial for a product, I see it in the stores and I can't help but wonder whether the product might actually work. And every time I have to supress the urge to buy it on the spot, just to try it. I was apparently that impressed by the infomercial, that I would get an AeroBed, even if I don't have guests over and don't have the room for it in my 10m2 room. Is this the effect of the infomercial?




I should have bought it when I saw it on tv, at least then I would have gotten one extra...

No comments:

Post a Comment